Hey everyone and welcome to our June edition of Motherhood Minis, featuring bitesize interviews with real mums. A quick unfiltered glimpse into the lives of our Matchstick Monkey parents and their little ones!
This week, we chat with the lovely Dorcas Kiese. Dorcas is a devoted mother, wife and @hellomamamade ambassador. Her Instagram @ourworldandyou features snaps of her children, day trips and products she is loving right now!
We catch up over a non-decaf coffee at the 3 am club (we all belonged to it, ladies!), winging motherhood and the importance of recharging.
1. How many children do you have?
I have two children - one boy Darius, who is nearly 2 (in June) and our newest addition Eleora at the end of March.
2. What have you learned about the reality of having children that you could never have predicted before having your own?
Time! I don't feel like there is enough time in the day since having children. Time runs very fast when you have children, thus it's important to stay organised.
3. Do you think parents, mothers in particular, have a tendency to put themselves under pressure to be the perfect parent?
There is a lot of peer pressure by other mothers which can make other mothers feel under pressure. Sometimes, the pressure is related to child milestones, most parents feel that child milestones are related to parenting styles and being the 'perfect parent'.
4. How do you get “me” time?
I try to make 'me' time by sticking to my toddler and newborn routines throughout the day, to facilitate extra time in the evening for myself.
5. What are your absolute favourite baby and toddler products?
My absolute favourite baby and toddler products are swaddle blankets, breastfeeding support cushions, baby monitor, toddler high chairs, and baby thermometers.
6. If you could invent something specifically to help parents, what would it be?
An electronic parent schedule, to help parents keep a record of their day-to-day activities and to also stay organised.
7. Do you see yourself as an influencer?
I don't see myself as a typical influencer. I see myself as a normal parent navigating through my own personal motherhood journey, learning from others and equally, others learning from me.
8. How has your growing Instagram following changed your day to day life?
My growing Instagram following has assisted my parenting journey in a positive way. I have met some wonderful parents via Instagram! Equally, I have come across various businesses, which I would have never stumbled across if it was not for Instagram or my growing followers.
9. Why do you think your account has become so popular, is this something you planned from the start?
I feel that my account has grown due to constant engagement with other parents, the more I engage with other accounts the more other accounts engage with me! Equally I believe I post content which is relatable to other parents!
10. How old were your children when they started to teeth?
My son who is currently 22 months of age began teething at around 5 months of age.
11. Did any of your children have symptoms of teething, or did they just come through without a fuss?
My son had symptoms of teething such as constantly chewing my fingers, chewing his Muslins, chewing his bottle teats, constant teething cries and agitation .
12. Did you use any teething products? If so, what helped?
I used Bonjela cream, I used Ashtons and Parsons powder and I also used a teething ring. I did not find any of the teething gels or powders to be effective. However, the teething ring was very effective and gave constant, instant relief.
To read more of our Motherhood Minis - you can take a look here.